Who are we?
The Dutch Flat Oyster Consortium consists of Wageningen Marine Research, Bureau Waardenburg and Sas Consultancy. Together, we have collated a broad knowledge base for flat oyster restoration in the North Sea and its surrounding estuaries. This consists of:
- Hands-on experience with flat oyster restoration projects and surveys in the North Sea nearshore and offshore area (see our projects).
- Analysis of historical data, on flat oyster beds which once existed in the North Sea area, and the reasons for their large-scale disappearance.
- Experiences of other restoration attempts, in Europe, USA and Australia, exchanged through our international network.
- Knowledge of shellfish biology and ecology.
De main funders of oysterprojects are:
– Ark Nature
– Programma Rijke Waddenzee
– Ministry LNV
In addition to funding WWF and ARK play an active role in collaborative knowledge development.